Thursday 17 December 2009

This Life...


Amara Jivana (This Life)




By Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura




amara jivana, sada pape rata,


nahika punyera lesha


parere udvega, diyachi je kata,


diyachi jivere klesha (1)




Throughout my whole life I have been addicted to sin, never performing any pious activities. I have simply been a source of disturbance and suffering for others.



nija sukha lagi’, pape nahi dari,


daya-hina svartha-para


para sukhe duhkhi, sada mithya-bhashi,


para-duhkha sukha kara (2)




For my own pleasure I never fear to commit any sin. I am devoid of pity and full of selfishness; I’m sorry at others’ happiness and am an inveterate liar. Indeed, I take delight in others’ miseries.



ashesha kamana, hridi majhe mora,


krodhi dambha-parayana


mada-matta sada, vishaye mohita,


himsa-garva vibhushana (3)




Endless are the selfish desires in my heart. I am prone to anger and devoted to arrogance. Intoxicated by conceit and deluded by attraction to sense pleasure, I ornament myself with pride and envy.



nidralasya-hata, sukarye virata,


akarye udyogi ami


pratishtha lagiya, shathya-acarana,


lobha-hata sada kami (4)




Afflicted by laziness and sleep, adverse to pious activities, I delight to perform any harmful act to obtain name and fame. I am very adept in duplicity, always lusty and degraded by mundane greed.





e hena durjana, sajjana-varjita,


aparadhi nirantara


shubha-karya-shunya, sadanartha-mana,


nana duhkhe jara jara (5)




Being such a miscreant and rejected by saintly persons, I have become a repeated offender. I never do good deeds but am inclined only to bad habits. Thus, I am oppressed by so many miseries.




vardhakye ekhana, upaya vihina,


ta’te dina akincana


bhakativinoda, prabhura carane,


kare duhkha nivedana (6)




Now in old age I am rendered helpless, reduced to a fallen and destitute condition. Bhaktivinoda presents his sad case at the feet of the Lord.


Spiritual Foundation

One thing I really believe in is that we have to work on our spiritual foundation first and foremost. If we do not do this than our house...