Thursday 7 January 2010

Overcoming the minds fear of spiritual life


Today when I was walking down my road (at around 6.45am) to go to the station, I slipped on the treacherous black ice and fell quite badly on my big bum!


I hurt my right knee and elbow and they are still hurting as I write this.


Luckily as I have a lot of padding on my bottom I was not hurt elsewhere.


It made me think about my spiritual life.


In the mornings I chant my rounds and then leave my house to catch the SB class at Soho Street. But lately I have been debating whether I can overcome the terrible snow and black ice on our road to get to the Temple.


For example I was tempted today not to go to the Temple but to stay in my warm and cosy bedroom for a bit longer.


However once I walked past my road I saw that the high street was less icy and I could walk faster and then when I came out of Tottenham Court Road tube station I saw that there was no snow at all on the roads leading to the Temple.


My road can be compared to the initial fear and material attachments we all have when we come to spiritual life. We see only insurmountable obstacles on our path and think it is better not to exert ourselves too much as we won't reach the goal anyway.


And then the high street can be compared to finding devotees - the high street was partly covered with snow and partly uncovered and similarly when we meet devotees we are partly still covered with material attachments and desires but we also start to develop faith that this path is right and I will reach my goal.


The road leading to the Temple was clear and this can be compared to finding a bona fide spiritual master under whose shade our path back to Godhead is clear.


Spiritual Foundation

One thing I really believe in is that we have to work on our spiritual foundation first and foremost. If we do not do this than our house...